In this episode we talk with Taylor and Jake of Footprint Farm (footprintfarmvt.com) where we discuss their viewpoint on cat tunnels now that they’ve used them for several years.
- Some Farms like them and do them well, others not so much!
- The NRCS High tunnel grant enabled quick upgrades from these cheap structures to nicer infrastructure
- Leave 3-4 feet of extra plastic width-wise to not end up too short on the edges
- Cheap clamps work well for keeping the sides scrunched up
- Rolling (scrunching) the plastic up underneath helps water during rain events bead off the plastic rather than pulling down the sides
- PVC is too soft for Vermont wind, using EMT came out ahead
- End walls are worth the effort to build to ease getting in and out of the tunnel
Sources for Cat tunnels:
Johnny’s Selected Seeds
Considering a cat tunnel? Here is another post from Boostrap farmer to check out. HIGH TUNNEL VS CATERPILLAR TUNNEL: WHICH ONE IS RIGHT FOR YOU?